Monday, July 22, 2013

Vacation Recap: Washington State


The family and I returned one week ago today from a wonderful trip to the Pacific Northwest--Washington state in particular. It was phenomenal. I loved it. My husband loved it. My boys loved it, and are already begging to go back. The weather was beautiful while we were there, though I have been assured by friends who reside there that this lovely weather is certainly the exception and not the rule over the course of a year. Still, we had an absolute blast! 

I know some of my friends (Hi, Niki!) will be traveling to Washington within the next year, so I thought I'd dedicate a blog post to sharing some of our photos. Enjoy! 


Day 1: Mt. Rainier National Park
A view of Mt. Rainier from about an hour away. It's huge! 
My 11-year-old admiring the view from inside the park.

A view of the Cascades from inside the park.



Day 2: Deception Pass & Whidbey Island


                                         
                                                    Deception Pass bridge from a scenic overlook. 

A view of an island with trees in the Puget Sound from Deception Pass State Park.
                                      
                                                   The boys enjoying the big waves at Deception Pass State Park.


Days 3 & 4: Olympic Peninsula
The charming Scandinavian town of Poulsbo on Bainbridge Island.

Beautiful, blue Crescent Lake in Olympic National Park.
This and the following pictures are from the Hall of Mosses trail in the Hoh Rainforest.






The next few photos are from La Push on the Pacific coast, home to the Quileute Nation.





Day 5: Lunch with the Larsons and a trip to Leavenworth

In Mukilteo, the boys were starstruck by Kirby Larson.

The Mukilteo Lighthouse, built in 1906.




Day 6: San Juan Island

I wanted to post a picture of the beautiful Friday Harbor here, but I can't find it. We went into the library there to see Every Day After on the shelf, but it was checked out! I was ecstatic. Somebody somewhere on the island--thousands of miles from my home--was reading Lizzie's story. The librarian was extremely kind and offered her congratulations. It was the coolest thing ever! 

In lieu of Friday Harbor, I'll present you with the island's lavender farm.

The following pictures are from Lime Kiln State Park. It is an awesome place for whale watching. We did see a pod of orcas from a distance on the ride over to the park, but none once we arrived. Still, it was one of my favorite places by far. I could live on this island. 
Michael overlooking the sound with the Olympic Mountains in the background.
The lighthouse with Vancouver Island visible in the background.







Then it was farewell...

Rainier from the air. Gorgeous.

If you haven't been to Washington, and aren't planning a trip there in the foreseeable future, I would encourage you to start saving and planning now. You won't regret it. Washington state is an embarrassment of riches as far as things to see and do. There are many more pictures I wish I could share, but this gives a good overview. If you ever travel to Washington, do let me know. I'd love to see your pictures. There were tons of places we didn't have time to visit. Thanks for letting me share! 



3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing all these lovely photographs with us. It looks like your family had a fantastic time. Your enthusiasm is bubbling over. I especially liked when you visited the library to discover your book was checked out. Your book is special. It needs to be read and read often by many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by, Margie! Thank you for your kind words. Yes, discovering that my book was being read thousands of miles away was an incredible feeling indeed. Hugs to you and Xena. <3

      Delete
  2. The photos are beautiful and the trip seems magical! And how cool was it that you went to the library only to find your book checked out! Thank you for sharing your trip with us.

    ReplyDelete